The story goes that, a long time ago, twelve amateur artists and their would-be tutor squeezed into a classroom in South Bridge Primary School, in response to an advert offering ‘Painting’ tuition. In order to house and finance such a venture, a class had to contain a minimum of fifteen students. Joe Maxwell RSW, our founder, therefore registered his mother, sister, and a distant cousin. Later, the group soon numbered twenty, and the continual absence of family no longer mattered.
It was a group of this class, with Joe, that in 1957 formed the Holyrood Art Club, and the rest they say, is history. Soon the group moved into more suitable premises in Riddles Court, our Constitution and Rules were developed, and office bearers appointed. The Club format of ongoing tuition, high standards of presentation & framing, regular lectures & demonstrations, outdoor painting trips, and an Annual Exhibition all stem from these early days.
Today, more than 60 years on, apart from our increasing use of technology, the Club format has changed little.
current council members
Newsletter IT Co-ordinator
Librarian / Embroiderer
Webmaster / Equipment Organiser - Bill Aspin